500 grams minced beef
1 onion, diced
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp cornflour
1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning (paprika, coriander, cumin, onion, garlic)
1 japalpeno, sliced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 cos lettuce, sliced
1 small avocado
1/8 cup tasty cheese, grated
1/8 cup mayo
1 tbs milk
2 tsp taco seasoning
- Mix lettuce, tomato, avocado and cheese in a bowl.
- Make dressing – mix mayo, milk and 2 tsp taco seasoning together and whisk until smooth
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, when hot cook onions until softened. Add mince and cook until browned.
- Add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Sprinkle cornflour over meat and stir until sauce thickens. Add jalapenos.
- Cool mince meat slightly and then mix through salad with dressing.
Eye Fillet and Chimichurri Sauce
- 500g eye fillet steak
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 2 packed tbsp parsley, finely chopped (no stems)
- 2 packed tbsp chopped corriander
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh black pepper
Using sharp knife, lightly score the steak about 1/8 inch deep on both sides in a crisscross pattern at 1/2-inch intervals. In a small bowl combine the cumin, garlic powder, oregano, freshly ground pepper and kosher salt. Season both sides of the steak with season spices.
For the chimichurri, combine the red onion, vinegar, salt and olive oil and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix all ingredients together. (Note: this tastes best when you chop the onions by hand rather than in a food processor, not sure why but trust me)
Prepare the grill on high heat. Grill the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning steaks 1/4 turn after 1 1/2 minutes to form crisscross grill marks, if desired. Transfer steaks to cutting board; let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice steaks across grain. Transfer to platter and top with chimichurri sauce.
Greek Chicken and Rice
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 – 2 lemons, zest + 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp salt (normal salt, not kosher or sea salt flakes)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1½ cups chicken broth / stock
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Combine the Chicken and Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and set aside for at least 20 minutes but preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Remove chicken from marinade, but reserve the Marinade.
- Heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a deep, heavy based skillet (Note 2) over medium high heat.
- Place the chicken in the skillet, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, then turn and cook the other side until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Pour off fat and wipe the pan with a scrunched up ball of paper towel (to remove black bits), then return to the stove.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until translucent. Then add the remaining Rice ingredients and reserved Marinade.
- Let the liquid come to a simmer and let it simmer for 30 seconds. Place the chicken on top then place a lid on the skillet (Note 3). Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Then remove the lid and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender (so 45 minutes in total).
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, garnished with parsley or oregano and fresh lemon zest, if desired.